3.09.2012

Children’s Ministry

Last Friday, I met with my pastor. He told me thank you for leading GLOW and how excited he is to see where that ministry will go.

Then, he asked me to take over as the leader of the children’s ministry at church.

That’s a big deal. Anyone who knows me, understands just how much I love kids. I mean, hello I was a teacher. Kids are my heart. Of course I had been feeling like I wanted to be more involved with the Sunday morning programs, but just didn’t ever say anything.

Why?

Let me back up a bit. The current leader is a friend of mine. I have known her since we were teenagers. She led the ministry for the past 3 years, since the church started. She has done a wonderful job. This is at no fault of her own that she is stepping down. Her life is busy and this just started to become one more “thing” lumped into the busyness.

With that said, I was hesitant to take the offer. I would never want to jeopardize another persons feelings for my own. However, I have totally felt God calling me to do more. To use my degree in a way to glorify Him. 

And here I am offered this position.

God is good.

I go from being lost and confused about losing my teaching job, in a public school. To getting to impact children through the word of God.

Pretty powerful turn of events.

The big “issue” of all this…things needed to change yesterday. There hasn’t been much time to re-vamp this program. So I’ve been scouring the internet this week trying to find a curriculum that will keep these kids engaged and involved. We want the children to be dragging their parents to church. NOT the other way around.

If you aren’t believing me, take a look at what the Lord says about children…

“Children are a gift from the Lord; they are a reward from Him.” Psalm 127:3

“Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it.” Proverbs 22:6

“But Jesus said, "Let the children come to me. Don’t stop them! For the Kingdom of Heaven belongs to those who are like these children." Matthew 19:14

“Don’t let anyone think less of you because you are young. Be an example to all believers in what you say, in the way you live, in your love, your faith, and your purity.” 1 Timothy 4:12

I don’t know about all of you, but I don’t want to stand before God and report on the failures I made when dealing with children. They are at a crucial age. A time when questions begin to stir. But doubt hasn’t quite set in yet. We are to teach them faith. Teach them about Jesus. Show them that living a life sold out for Him will result in eternal life in heaven.

This can’t be done alone. Of course I’ll have a team. One of my best friends, Sara, will be helping me take this on. (I hope) She is chock full of ideas & creativity so I’ll be seeking her out a lot. Then there’s my other best friend, Theresa, who seriously does more than I ever could. She is the one behind the scenes in every area at church. And she’s been helping me sort through all of the hundreds of curriculum programs out there.

And the one we have decided on…


Here is a brief description of the program that’s provided on their site:

“Elementary-age kids are in a constant state of discovery. Think about all the different things they are trying for the first time and what they’re learning every day, even how to make (and keep) friends.
How can we tap into the way kids are naturally wired to discover‚ so they can begin to experience for themselves who God is, how He sees them and how much He loves them?
How can we show them God’s big story and help them discover the active part they can play in this life-long adventure, to be more like Him?
252 BASICS curriculum and resources PROVOKE DISCOVERY, inviting kids to live out their new understanding of how to grow in relationship with God and with others”"

It was a tough decision to come to because there were so many programs to choose from, but this one seems to the best fit for us right now.

Do any of you use this program at your church? What do you like about it? What are your recommendations for using it?

This is going to be an exciting ride. God is completely in control. I am not. I am simply the vessel in which He is using to reach these kids.

Are you making the difference in the life a child? Are you making an effort to teach them the love of Jesus? Are you living a life that shows them unashamed faith? Teaching by example?

This is your chance.
Kids won’t be kids forever.

2 comments:

Jess said...

This is incredible!
You are going to do awesome - you have such a heart for young people...I can see it via Twitter, Instagram and your blog ;)
But for real - praying for you, Liz!

Happy Friday!
xo

Bri Buzali said...

Hi! I found your blog over at "Whispering Sweet Nothings" and I'm so glad I did! I can't wait to read more! You have some great values, and I'm a coffee lover too! Hope you're having a good weekend!